||Days 37 hours per week
Reporting to – Senior Manager Interiors
Primary responsibility for delivery of the objectives of the Organisation as a member of Millbrook’s Management Team by managing the day to day operations associated with the Department. Manage Senior Engineers, Engineers, Supervisors and facilities to ensure a safe and efficient, high quality operation.
Ensure that all work is completed in a competent and professional manner to the satisfaction of all customers and lead the development of the department in terms of capability, capacity and efficiency.
Lead a culture of continuous improvement to help drive improvements in health, safety, environment & security, customer service, technical excellence and effective investment in new equipment.
Health, Safety, Environment & Security:
- Overall responsibility for Health, Safety, Environment & Security within the respective Department
- Ensure appropriate PPE is being used at all times in designated areas
- Ensure H&S procedures & processes are appropriate and being applied
- Ensure appropriate security measures are in place and being used in the labs
- Take ownership of health, safety, environment & security, risk assessments and safety observation tours
- Ensure no jobs are commenced without a valid risk assessment in place
- Overall responsibility for ensuring efficient and effective communication between the team, internal and external customers ensuring the highest level of customer satisfaction at all times
- Work with engineering teams to schedule work to agreed timings
- Identify areas for improvement and implement effective improvement actions
- Schedule appropriate levels of resource to deliver customer expectations
- Collect, maintain and deliver on KPI and OEE
- Build relationships with current and future customers to identify workload and requirements
- Ensure projects and reports are completed on time and to customer expectations and to a high professional standard
- Validate quoted prices in conjunction with the commercial team in a timely and effective manner
- Work with all Engineers and Supervisors to ensure they are qualified to perform the tasks they are assigned
- Ensure projects have the resources required to deliver the objectives within the agreed timescales to deliver a technically excellent service
- Lead process improvement activities
- Manage the maintenance and upkeep of equipment and facilities in conjunction with the Supervisors
- Ensure high levels of housekeeping and a professional appearance of labs at all times
- Accountable for departmental compliance with all health, safety, environment & security policies and procedures
- Ensure Senior Engineers, Engineers and Supervisors adhere to company policies and procedures
- Ensure ISO QMS activities and procedures are complied with
- Reporting and improving quality metrics, quality procedures and test audits
- Lead the department’s team to deliver outstanding customer service whilst maintaining the highest standards of health, safety, environment & security compliance and maximising the opportunities for growth provided by investment in new equipment and facilities
- Recruit all Engineers and Supervisors in conjunction with HR/Senior Manager/Chief Engineer
- Identify development needs and create appropriate training plans
- Identify high performers/potentials and create appropriate development and succession plans
- Maintain all Engineers and Supervisors skills matrix
- Complete performance reviews and set SMART objectives
- Encourage all Engineers and Supervisors development in line with company objectives
- Address performance, absence, timekeeping, capability, behaviours and monitor holidays, time cards, overtime etc.
- Contribute to the setting of budgets and accountability for delivering department P&L
- Work with other managers/supervisors to ensure effective use of resource across all operational areas
- Maintain a complete, accurate and up to date forecast and deliver budget revenue and margins (gross margin and EBITDA)
- Improve operational efficiency
- Validate purchase orders of items to support work and improvement actions up to £5000 and approve invoices in line with department budget
- Liaise with support departments including Facilities, HR, Finance, Purchasing, Health, Safety, Environment & Security on all departmental related matters
- Act in accordance with the behaviours for Millbrook employees at all times
- Lead by example
- Qualified to bachelor degree or equivalent, preferably in an automotive or mechanical discipline
- You should be a Chartered Engineer or working towards becoming a Chartered Engineer
- IOSH/NEBOSH qualification an advantage
- Proven experience of managing a team of engineers and technicians to deliver exceptional performance is essential.
- Proven record in achieving financial objectives is essential.
- Experience of working with highly technical test equipment is essential.
- Experience with working to European Regulation, OEM standards, UKAS17025.
- Experience of working within a fast moving lab delivering multiple projects on time and with excellent customer service
- Experience in lean manufacturing methodologies would be beneficial.
- A solid understanding of environmental testing techniques and equipment including environmental chambers, electro-magnetic shakers and materials testing
- Expert level knowledge of any one of the above
- Scheduling and work planning to maximise utilisation of lab equipment
- Excellent communication skills with all levels in the organisation and with customers
- Strong problem solving capabilities
- Team building and team motivation
- Efficiency and quality improvement through appropriate use of lean techniques
- Strong numeracy and literacy abilities including high levels of proficiency in Word and Excel
- Strong leader
- Organised and methodical
- Works well under pressure
- Shows initiative
- Flexibility to travel as and when required, although expected to be infrequent.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Willing to undergo a Criminal Disclosure check.
To apply please email your CV and salary expectations to email@example.com