Engine Test Technician
Shift Pattern: Rolling week
Location: UTAC Millbrook, Bedford
UTAC provides vehicle test, validation and engineering services to customers in the automotive, transport, tyre, petrochemical, defence and security industries. It is independent and impartial in everything it does.
It has a range of test facilities for components and full vehicles. These include varied indoor and outdoor test tracks in the UK and Northern Finland, engine dynamometers, environmental chambers, crash laboratories and advanced emissions chassis dynamometers.
UTAC’s employees are passionate about safety, customer service and technical excellence, making them ideal partners at any stage in the development and launch of the vehicles of tomorrow.
Reporting to: Supervisor
We are recruiting for a Propulsion Test Technician to join the Propulsion Engine Test Centre at UTAC. The successful role holder will be responsible for running Propulsion systems in a testbed environment and all associated aspects from set-up through test cell configuration, servicing, and running of both automated and manual sequences. The Technicians work will contribute towards successful completion of end-to-end customer test programmes on a variety of prototype units, from downsized units with a focus on economy and emissions through to high output units with performance focus. The Technicians role will be supported by the Engineering team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure all Health and Safety and quality procedures have been adhered to
- Contribute towards test piece palletisation, installation and setup of instrumentation. Test cell automation system configuration as required by Engineering team.
- Validate basic engine running and associated fluid and boost conditioning systems in test cell environment
- Be part of a team which contributes towards running customer test requirements in a test cell for specific customer development programs
- Identify and diagnose unit faults, both mechanical and electrical, working with Engineering team to deliver effective solutions
- Carry out servicing and hardware changes
- Run the test cell using a mix of automated test cycles and manual operation leading into more complex tasks with support from Engineering teams
- Be the first-line in quality control and unit test data validation
- Take ownership of the test piece, equipment and hardware in the test cell
- Able to liaise with supporting staff, Engineers, Supervisors and customers on a technical level
- Continue and improve initiatives to reduce waste and optimize efficiency
- Act in accordance with the behaviours for UTAC colleagues at all times
- Must have a sound automotive background preferably in a testing environment
- Formal automotive qualification / completed full apprenticeship
- Strong understanding of gasoline and diesel engine operation
- Excellent understanding of engine fundamentals and related systems
- Automotive fault diagnostics
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and instruction following completion of probationary period
- Willingness to take responsibility for own work and offer support to others
- Excellent teamwork ethics
- Respect for Health and Safety procedures and practices
- Organised with good communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Interest in emerging technologies
- Highly motivated Team player
- Represents highest company standards
- Good time management and organization
- Customer focussed
- Professional attitude under pressure
- Excellent attention to detail
- Full UK driving licence
- Willing to undergo a Basic Disclosure (DBS) check