Senior Engineer NVH – Vehicle Systems – Leyland
UTAC provides vehicle test, validation and engineering services to customers in the automotive, transport, tyre, petrochemical, defence and security industries. It is independent and impartial in everything it does.
It has a range of test facilities for components and full vehicles. These include varied indoor and outdoor test tracks in the UK, France and Northern Finland, engine dynamometers, environmental chambers, crash laboratories, advanced emissions chassis dynamometers and component test laboratories.
UTAC’s employees are passionate about safety, customer service and technical excellence, making them ideal partners at any stage in the development and launch of the vehicles of tomorrow.
Reporting to – Manager or Senior Engineer with delegated Management responsibility
Responsible for technical excellence and customer service within a laboratory or for a specific service. To supervise the work of Engineers and Technicians within the defined area of specialisation, conduct high profile testing, compile and review data packs and test reports within the relevant area of specialisation.
To work with customers to develop appropriate product development / testing specifications within the relevant area of specialisation.
Support a culture of continuous improvement to help drive improvements in safety and security, customer service, technical excellence and effective investment in new equipment.
Role & Responsibilities
Health, Safety, Environment & Security:
- Ensure appropriate PPE is being used at all times in designated areas
- Setup or review job specific risk assessments
- Ensure H&S procedures & processes are appropriate and being applied
- Ensure appropriate security measures are in place and being used in the labs
- Create and maintain risk assessment for the tests in the area of responsibility
- Liaise with the customer to ensure the project is delivered on time and to their expectations
- Liaise with customer engineers to obtain feedback relating to performance improvements
- Develop improved systems of work, data handling and manipulation
- Deliver test reports accurately (RFT) and on time (OTD)
- Report regularly to customers as required
- Work with other Engineers, Senior Engineers and Principal Engineers to design test and timing plans
- Competently and efficiently deliver tests to a high professional standard
- Liaise with Engineers and Technicians providing appropriate detail to ensure efficient testing
- Collate test results from various logging equipment and validate for approval
- Be conversant with appropriate testing regulations
- Identify improvements and manage change appropriately
- Undertake analysis of results, including statements of conformity or opinions and interpretations
- To report, review and provide authorisation of results
- Provide technical support to customers and the Commercial team
- Ensure project documentation is up to date and consistent
- Ensure equipment calibration is valid and report any issues
- Validate test reports in line with regulations and certifications
- Maintain and update technical procedure within the department
- Adhere to company policies and procedures
- Comply with ISO 9001, 14001, 17025, 22301, 27001, 45001 procedures where appropriate
- Act as Subject Matter Expert where appropriate
- Train Engineers in best practise
- Disseminate technical knowledge across departments
- Ensure projects are delivered on time using the agreed level of resources
- Support Manager with accurate information from the area of specialisation for the departmental forecast
- Maintain up to date information on job status, expected invoicing and completion date
- Develop initiatives to reduce waste and optimise efficiency
- Act in accordance with the behaviours for UTAC employees at all times
- Lead by example
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience in relevant engineering discipline
- Knowledge of vehicle mechanical systems
- Instrumentation and data acquisition
- Knowledge of sensor types and applications
- Use of CAD systems (preferred)
- Data processing / analysis
- Vibration and shaker testing
- Noise testing
- Component rig testing
- Technical report writing
- Knowledge of vibration controllers
- Knowledge of Siemens Test.Lab software suite and HBM GlyphWorks
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organisational, analytical and problem solving skills
- High level of initiative and motivation to meet or exceed targeted goals with minimal supervision
- Able to work independently
- Ability to make independent business decisions in a timely and responsible manner
- Promote and maintain good customer communications
- Willingness to learn
- Methodical, flexible and adaptable
- Problem solver
- Highly motivated team player and customer focused
- High level of confidentiality and integrity
- Be willing to work outside normal working hours i.e. evening, weekend and night shifts if required.
- Be prepared to support “off-site” work activities in both the UK and abroad.
- Cooperate with the Divisional and Department Managers, Team Leader, Safety Manager and Safety Representative to ensure that a safe working environment is maintained.
- Ensure maintenance of a satisfactory level of housekeeping within the working environment.
- Adhere to safe working practices and completing safety risk reviews.
- Interface effectively with other departments as appropriate.
- Full UK driving licence & own transport (UTAC Leyland is not easily accessible via public transport)
- Willing to undergo a Criminal Disclosure check
- NOTE: This position be will based on site at Leyland
To apply please email your cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Application closing date, close of business Monday 22nd August 2022.