Senior Engineer – Vehicle Measurement (RLD & NVH)
Shift Pattern: Days
Location: UTAC Millbrook, Bedford
Reporting to: Manager – Vehicle Measurement
To manage and conduct RLD and NVH data collection exercises on all types of vehicles as well as perform data analysis on test results to customers’ requirements. This includes all stages of a typical project life cycle; from initial customer contact, to planning a project, conducting the measurement/analysis exercises through to project closure and invoicing. The Principal Engineer will work with other Engineers and Business Development to devise bespoke technical solutions to meet customer requests. The role will specialise in the areas of RLD and NVH, in order to offer these measurement and analysis services to customers.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Working within a team of engineers and technicians to coordinate test activity.
- Oversee and provide technical support to other engineers on instrumentation, data collection and data analysis.
- Liaise with customers and devise test solutions to meet their specific requirements.
- Support the quotation process by providing detailed costings and technical content.
- Fully understand the customer requirements of test programs and communicate the requirements clearly to other staff.
- Liaise with other UTAC departments on cross company test activities.
- Conduct general test activities (some of which may be legislative).
- Design strain gauge circuit layouts depending on measurement requirements and communicate installation requirements with strain gauging technicians.
- Perform RLD and NVH specific measurements involving analogue/digital sensors and data acquisition systems.
- Conduct validation and analysis of data using various methods.
- Perform vehicle structural and powertrain damage correlation activities to develop new tests or transfer existing tests from one test facility (location) to another.
- Work closely with the Durability team to maintain and develop test schedules.
- Report results and conclusions customers and support them in investigation work to resolve their questions.
- Critique and approve test reports written by other engineers.
- Project manage customer projects and ensure deadlines are met for various activities.
- Provide off-site support when required including public road data collection activities or at other test sites.
- Assist departmental manager with operational and financial responsibilities as required.
- Lead and contribute in internal working groups to continuously improve processes.
- Develop new, and continuously improve existing test techniques and implement new procedures, equipment or facilities.
- Act in accordance with the behaviours for Millbrook staff at all times.
- General activities split:
- 70% test work
- 30% development and other activities
- Hold a current UK driving licence.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in relevant Engineering discipline.
- Chartered engineer status (preferred).
- Good communications skills both oral and written.
- Sound engineering background
- Proficient computer literacy
- Confident when dealing with customers both face to face and on the phone.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Managing a small team.
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving / lateral thinking
- General testing on vehicles (essential)
- General data acquisition practical and theoretical knowledge (essential)
- Various data acquisition systems (essential)
- DEWESoft, HBM, LMS, Racelogic, IPERTONIK
- Strain gauging practical and theory (essential)
- Fatigue damage analysis, fatigue and shock based test correlation & optimisation (essential)
- RLD & NVH measurement, analysis and consultancy (essential)
- Data analysis using nCode Glyphworks (essential)
- Knowledge of electronics and circuitry (essential)
- Knowledge of vehicle mechanical systems (essential)
- EV/Hybrid vehicles (preferred)
- Vehicle network systems – CAN, LIN, FlexRay (preferred)
- Vehicle diagnostics – OBD, UDS (preferred)
- Programming in Python/Matlab (preferred)
- Customer focused
- Flexible and adaptable
- Pro active
- Flexibility to support test activity both off-site and outside of normal working hours.
- Flexibility to travel inside and outside UK as and when required
- Full UK driving licence (motorcycle, HGV or PSV advantageous)
- SC clearance or ability to achieve this (UK national with residency in the UK for the last 5 years)
- Willing to undergo a Criminal Records Bureau check
Working Environment: Lab
Travel Required: Travel as required within the UK and mainland Europe
Application closing date, close of business on 18th August 2021